Waking up can be hard. Pain or morning stiffness is usually present for anywhere from 15-45 minutes. As the day progresses, the stiffness dissipates , only to rear its ugly head as night approaches.What can cause this ache, and how can we help soothe these morning soreness? The most common cause of morning ache is arthritis, which can be determined by an x-ray. As we sleep fluid tends to build up along with inflammation, causing joints to stiffen. This can also happen if we sit for extended periods of time. Stiffness and pain can also occur for those not suffering from arthritis, so it is important to determine the root of the issue so we can find the right treatment plan for you.
If it is spinal arthritis one might experience:
- Tingling or aching from pressure on nearby nerves
- Aching pain in the area of stress
- Certain movements that increase pain in the affected area
- Inability to complete certain tasks like tying shoes or picking something off the floor
- Loss of flexibility
- Altered or hunched over posture
How To Help with Spinal Arthritis/Stiffness
- Get moving! You might want to lie still, but movement will ultimately help. You may need to take frequents rests and learn your tolerance, but movement is key.
- Eat up! Add anti-inflammatory foods into your diet like ginger, turmeric, berries, and green tea.
- Keep up with your chiropractic care! Regular adjustments can help ensure you are in proper alignment and no added pressure is being put on the nerves. It can also help increase your range of motion and decrease muscle tension.
- Allow your body to wake up! Just as your brain needs some time to wake up, so does your body. After sleeping or prolonged sitting, move slowly and do some gentle stretches. A warm shower or bath can also help first thing in the morning.
- Try supplements! Supplementing with glucosamine and omega 3’s may be just the boost your body needs to stop stiffness. We carry special health packs just for this!
Stop in today to talk to our team and see how we can help!